STEP offers a certificate for students enrolled in the Woodrow Wilson School's two master's programs and for certain doctoral students in other departments, and is one area of focus for a Woodrow Wilson School Ph.D. in Public Affairs.
The goal of STEP is to provide students with:
- an introduction to the field of policy analysis;
- the analytical tools needed to tackle policy effectively;
- a deeper understanding of current scientific, technological and environmental issues;
- an appreciation for the potential local, national and international policy responses; and
- interdisciplinary training that facilitates communication between technical experts and policymakers.
While there is no STEP certificate for undergraduates, there are a number of courses offered at Princeton that focus on STEP-related topics.